Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Jambalaya! Or something close to it...

So this week I'm trying to cook better meals. More vegetables less processed food. I always try to meal plan and usually stick some comfort food in there a couple times. But this week it was all about fresh ingredients!

Yesterday was Jambalaya day! I got a paleo recipe off of pinterest and was going to use that but instead ended up doing my own thing.

Good thing it was pretty good. Next time I would add chicken or maybe shrimp (unfortunately the bf doesn't like seafood).

I made it in the crockpot so I kind of just threw mostly everything together and let it cook all day.

Crockpot Jambalaya

4 cups of chicken broth/stock
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes with juice
4 peppers of any color, diced
1 onion, diced
2 Tbsp Louisana hot sauce
1 Tbsp Creole seasoning
14 oz smoked sausage

Put everything except the sausage in the crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours. About 30 minutes to an hour before it's done add the sausage. I then cooked my rice separately and just mixed it in with everything when I was ready to serve.

I loved how pretty all my peppers looked

I had barely started adding the rice at this point...it smelled amazing

All done...it was a little soupy but the rice absorbed the excess.

The boyfriend really liked it and he is a SUPER picky eater so it's a winner for now! But like I said next time I'll either double the sausage or add chicken.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica, this would be perfect for a day like today. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I can't wait for cold weather here in New Mexico so I can make more stuff like this. Thanks for your kind words and for stopping by! ♥

    ReplyDelete