Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Headboard for Master Bedroom...Check!

I really like the look of upholstered headboards. But the price that comes with them? Not so much. So being the crafty cupcake that I am I decided I could make my own. I bought everything I needed over the weekend/yesterday and got to work at about 6:45 p.m. last night.

First I went to Lowe's and bought a $15 piece of OSB plywood. It was originally 4X8 but I had them cut it down to 78 inches wide but left the height (mistake). I have a king bed and really love the look of a tall headboard. But it's way too tall I should have had it cut down probably to 36 inches. I then bought 3 yards of burlap from Joann's and a package of queen sized batting which ran me $29 with no coupons. Both of which were not tall enough to cover my gargantuan headboard.

When I finally started my project I just laid the burlap down then laid the batting on top of it. Then I laid the HUGE piece of plywood on top of that.

See how it's too short! Talk about a buzz kill. But I lined it up best I could and contemplated ways to fix my too short fabric.

Would I add a piece of stained wood and make that the top? Definitely thought about it. But that wasn't really the look I was going for. So I just went along stapling and tugging...stapling and tugging. I may have over done it a little.

I didn't really care how pretty it was since it's the back and no one would see it. I really just tried to make sure that I was pulling it tight. 

My hand was definitely getting tired by the end of this. It might help to have at least one more set of hands. So my temporary solution to the not enough fabric problem was to take the excess from the sides and add it to the bottom. Since you won't see the bottom anyways just the sides. It looks kind of messed up in the picture but trust me you can't even see it when it's behind the bed.

Not to shabby for $44. It looks kind of wrinkled in the picture but it's really just the texture of the burlap. I haven't hung it behind the bed yet (I plan on using heavy duty D-rings). By the time I was done and got it into the house (all by my lonesome, that sucker is heavy) I really didn't want to hang it so I just stuck it behind the bed and pushed the frame against it to keep it there.

I don't have any pictures of it in the bedroom because I have horrible light in there and it was so dark you couldn't even see it very well. But the boyfriend really likes it so I'm happy with it for now. What makes this a good piece is that if and when I get tired of the current fabric I can change it out pretty easily.


  1. This looks great! Well done :) Thanks for sharing!
    I am a new follower
    Have a great day!

  2. Thanks! Everyone else definitely makes it look easier...but it probably helps to have another set of