Monday, January 14, 2013

Multi-tasking may not be my strong suit.

So as we all know I love to make to-do lists.
 Crossing off things on said list may not happen as often. 
This weekend I finally got around to finishing two things I've been wanting to do. 
May have not been the best idea to start them both at around 10 pm on a Sunday night when I have to work the next morning. Oh well gotta keep up when I have motivation. 


So last night when I should have been going to bed I started making a Tiramisu cheesecake. Thought to myself oh it only bakes for an hour I'll be okay... Yeah prep time did not enter my mind. 
Still haven't tasted it so maybe I'll share the recipe if it's good.

While I was waiting for the cheesecake to bake I decided to frame our guest bathroom mirror. I've been wanting to do this forever. These are pretty popular around blog land and was something I really wanted to do. Big huge builder grade mirrors leave a lot to be desired. 

So I had gone to Lowe's earlier and bought some pretty molding, adhesive, caulking gun, paint, and painter's tape. Yeah the OCC household usually has nothing I need for a project. 



Here's my builder grade mirror in all it's glory. 
Side note- it is really hard to take a picture of a mirror in a tiny bathroom without being in the mirror.



I got the rope molding for about $7 each for an 8ft piece. 
Which worked out pretty perfect since my mirror was about 43" on each side.


In case you were wondering balancing molding on a ice chest between your boyfriend's two prized possessions is the best way to paint. He'll probably lecture me when he sees this picture. Oh well!

Once I was finished painting the front and back (since you can see the reflection in the mirror) I pulled it inside to do my cuts. I just used a regular saw with my miter box.
I didn't take pictures of me cutting since
1. it would be hard/dangerous and
2. I don't want to encourage bad saw safety. 
Let's just say my fingers were dangerously close to the saw. 

I used some adhesive that said was for mirrors...now I realize it was to hang mirrors. 
Oh well just means it's tough. It actually comes off pretty easily if you smear it where you don't want too and it dries there (not that I did that).


The frame is up in all it's taped glory. Don't pay attention to the left corner there may have been an incident. It's true what they say measure twice cut once. Anyway I caulked all of the seams and now just need to paint them/fill in some spots that missed paint.

I actually didn't know if I was going to like the paint
 but I really do and can't wait to do our master bathroom hopefully this weekend!
 I will have pictures of the finished project on Wednesday since 
Tuesday Topics is tomorrow and I missed last week!






2 comments:

  1. That's great! I've been dying to do it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously I kept looking at all the good ones on pinterest and just needed to get off my butt lol...it makes a huge difference...

      Delete