Saturday, June 30, 2012

Small Spaces

So this past week I've been in San Antonio visiting some family and friends. I really enjoyed my week off of work and am definitely not ready to go back. It's been pretty relaxing but geez it's so hot! I swear I thought I was physically melting at times. I can't believe I lived here for 2 years!

Anyways this week has been filled with a lot of shopping. Today, we shopped the outlets in San Marcos for about 4 hours. These are literally the best outlets ever. This weekend kicked off their 4th of July sales so there was some great deals to be had. Williams-Sonoma and Calphalon were having GREAT sales. Williams-Sonoma was combined with Pottery Barn and if my mom hadn't dragged me out kicking and screaming I might not have ever left. Plus they had the best air conditioning.

The biggest score today:

8-piece Calphalon Contemporary Non-Stick 8-Piece Set for only $120; Retails $349.99

To say I'm in love with these pans is kind of an understatement. But as much as I loooove them not only because they're beautiful functional but also for their quality, I am very concerned with where to store them. I really like my house but at 1234 sq. feet it definitely lacks storage space. First-time homebuyers should definitely have a checklist on what you will definitely need that I didn't even notice until it was too late. For one, a linen closet! We don't even have a coat closet. All we have is the closets in the bedrooms which don't really provide any room to store towels or extra sheets. But back to the kitchen. We have a decent sized pantry and my boyfriend eats so much usually it's only packed with food for so long. The biggest problem is the cabinet space. We have four upper cabinets, two lower cabinets, and a corner lazy susan. With one completely taken up by various spices and cake decorating supplies it doesn't leave much room for dishes or cookware. Also we don't really have room for a hanging pot rack especially with the boyfriend being so tall. 

Here are a few ideas I've been thinking about that I might try making work in my kitchen not only for the new pans but maybe free up some counter space or cabinet space:


I really like this idea of using a wall mounted planter to store fruits and get them up off the counter. Definitely wish I had this much space between my cabinets and counters. But alas, I don't. I might be able to make it work on a different wall though. Found this on pinterest but there was no original source. 



I really like the use of these drawer organizers to store spices on the pantry walls. This would free up about two shelves in a cabinet and definitely is a smart use of unused space. 



These wall mounted pot racks are something that I'm considering. I just really don't have the wall space. I would have to remove two corner shelves that I really like. Do I have anything on the shelves? 
Not really, but I really like them :(. 

I am also considering putting a hanging pot rack over my sink. That way it's out of walking space but might give the boyfriend a reason why he can't do dishes. Possible head trauma is an acceptable reason I guess. 

I'm going to take some pictures and some measurements and see if there really is room. Update on that later this week. 







No comments:

Post a Comment